Thursday, February 28, 2008

WSRA Highlights...

ANY time I can meet and learn from authors and/or illustrators, THAT is always a highlight for me! Two authors really stuck out in my mind at this convention: the Keynote Speaker, Patricia Polacco and presentor John Archambualt!

First, though we had to be up long before the crack of dawn to make it from Fond du Lac (where we were holed up for the night because of bad weather) to Milwaukee in a snowstorm, it was well worth the effort to hear Patricia. We even got our picture taken with her! (You'll have to see the slideshow.) She is a masterful storyteller, and I could have listened to her talk for the hours! I learned a lot about her background and books that I didn't know before (even though Mrs. Bray studied up on her and knew almost everything there is to know!) It made me want to order every book she's ever written. Her books all stem from her own life and background, which was very diverse as she was growing up. She even brought the "Keeping Quilt" with her, but my pictures were too dark and far away. She was a delight!


John Archambault was SO much fun! I absolutely LOVE and AGREE with his philosophy that kids (people) learn better/faster/remember longer what they've learned through music. So...he SANG several of his books to us, and we joined in too. He's a very animated performer, coaxing even the reluctant teachers into joining him. I could envision kids just loving him. Unfortunately, I had to sit in the back row because we had to leave about 15 minutes before he was to be done, so my pictures of him are too far away, dark, and fuzzy! How disappointing! Now, though, whenever I order any of his books, I'm going to ALSO order the CD!

No comments: