Thursday, February 28, 2008

Math / Reading Nights

We've now completed 3 of the four grade levels' Math / Reading Nights for families of our Kindergarteners, 3rd graders, and 1st graders. The 2nd graders night had to be rescheduled for March 11th due to a SNOWSTORM (can you believe it?). Each "night" began at 5:00 with a supper meal provided and then the families went to their child's classroom. The students became the "teachers" for the night, showing their parents/family the various Math & Reading games and activities they do in class. They each got a gallon Ziploc with a book, games, & other goodies to keep. They ended their night with a Library Scavenger Hunt. That's where I come in.

Overall, I've only heard good comments about the experience from the parents/families (teachers are another issue entirely). As far as I'm concerned, here in the library, we had a GREAT time! I loved meeting the parents and families of the students I serve each week. It was a lot of fun watching the kids show their family around the Media Center as they did their Scavenger Hunt (posted earlier).

Would I change anything? Only that more students and families would come AND that the SmartBoard PhotoShow would have worked correctly as it should have. Each night we had a pretty good amount of people come through the library, and I know that not everyone stayed for my Finale. I gave out special bookmarkers, coloring posters, and tatoos (depending on the grade level). See some of the highlights on the slideshow!

No comments: