Thursday, January 17, 2008

Reflections of the Day...

SNOW DAYS are great! It was especially nice for me to be able to come to Ripon High and "job shadow" you today, Kathleen. Thanks! Your day was very busy! I don't think I saw you sit down at all until we ate lunch! You were in constant motion. Of course with the printer being out of order, that meant a lot of extra work for you. It was good to see all the activity and personal involvement you have with your students. I got the distinct impression that you have a good relationship with many of them, and they showed you respect. (even the guy you had to talk to about his behavior)

I appreciated all our mini-conversations throughout the day. We covered quite a few different topics and seemed to get down to the nitty-gritty pretty fast. I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity to learn from you (as well as the other media specialists included in this blog) and glean from your years of experience and expertise. I feel like I've hardly gotten my feet wet yet!

Two action steps I took after school today were:
1. I joined WEMTA's listserv (especially after Kate Bugher's promptings yesterday @ CESA!) and,
2. I set up this blog, inviting Cindy Bailey (Rosendale), Dr. Smith (UWO), Mike Reese(Wautoma High), & Sally Schnese(Parkside Middle) to also be "authors" in this blog. If there are other media specialists (or students) who you think might add to or benefit from this conversational blog format of discussing our practicum goals and issues, please email me their email addresses.

Though I didn't actually do any "work" in the LMC today, I look forward to being more actively involved on Monday. Today helped me get a feel for the high school schedule and procedures a bit. I was impressed with the fact that you have extended hours. Right now, I just wish my media centers could be open/functional during all the SCHOOL hours. With having only a part-time assistant (shared with the Middle School) at Riverview, I have two mornings each week that the Library is closed when I'm at Redgranite and my assistant is working at Parkside.

3 comments:

Fiery Skipper said...

I didn't know that your library was closed during the time you were at Redgranite. Can the teachers still use the library during that time and bring the kids down and check out books?

Kathy Carlson said...

InfoCentre/computer is not up and running at all until either Barb (assistant) or I get there. The teachers can take materials and list them on a clipboard, but, unfortunately, many times teachers just neglect to "check out" the materials unless one of us is there in the flesh. There are no doors on the LMC to "lock" it or keep it completely closed, so, yes, teachers theoritically could bring their students in for any activity/library usage they would like. They usually don't like to have to do it themselves though. Hmmmm.....

kmthomas said...

Hi Kathy,
Yes, we had a busy day, but I thought it was great for me, too. And, THE GOOD NEWS is that the printer is now fixed. We came very close to giving the repairman a "group hug."

I will put you to work on Monday for sure. Cindy just finished helping Mrs. Schultz complete the bulletin board.

I will post more later!
Kathleen